PLAN YOUR VISIT
The Phillips Collection building comprises the original Phillips House built in 1897 and two major additions: the Goh Annex, built in 1960 and enlarged in 1989, and the Sant Building, opened in 2006. The galleries may be explored in any order, since works of art are not organized by category or time period.
Please note that from May 28-June 19, 2019, some of the galleries in the Goh Annex and Sant Building will be unavailable as we prepare for our upcoming exhibition The Warmth of Other Suns: Stories of Global Displacement. Visitors are welcome to view our permanent collection in the Phillips House galleries during this time.
The Phillips Collection is located at 1600 21st Street, NW, Washington, D.C., near the corner of 21st and Q Streets, NW.
The Phillips Collection is committed to promoting the use of sustainable transportation as a way to reduce local traffic congestion and air pollution. While we do provide driving directions, please consider other transportation options, which are included on the goDCgo interactive map.
Using Metrorail, take the Red Line to Dupont Circle station and take the Q Street exit from the station. Go left (west) one block on Q Street to 21st Street, NW. The museum is located at 1600 21st Street, the first block to the right from Q Street.
The Phillips is accessible via several Metrobus lines. The 37, 42, H1, L1, N2, N3, N4, N6, D1, D2, D3, D6, and G2 lines stop within two blocks of the museum.
BY DC CIRCULATOR
The DC Circulator bus runs every 10 minutes and costs $1 each way.
The Dupont Circle-Georgetown-Rosslyn route stops at 19th and N Streets, NW. From there, head north on 19th Street towards Dupont Circle. Turn left and continue around Dupont Circle. Turn left at Massachusetts Avenue, then turn right onto 21st Street. The Phillips Collection is located on the left at 1600 21st Street, NW.
For more information, visit www.dccirculator.com
BY CAPITAL BIKESHARE
Bike to the Phillips using DC's bikesharing program. Simply take a bike from one of over 190 stations in DC or Arlington and Alexandria in Virginia and return it to a docking station near the museum. The closest docking stations to The Phillips Collection are located at:
- Massachusetts Avenue and Dupont Circle, NW
- 20th and O Streets, NW
For information about membership, fees, and additional station locations, visit www.capitalbikeshare.com.
FROM BALTIMORE, MARYLAND
Take I-95 South to I-495 West. From I-495 take exit 33, Connecticut Avenue (south), toward Chevy Chase. Stay on Connecticut Avenue for about 8 miles, then turn right on R Street. Turn left from R Street on 21st Street. The Phillips Collection is located on the right at 1600 21st Street, NW.
FROM ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA, AND POINTS WEST
Take Route 50 or I-66 to the Roosevelt Bridge. Take the E Street Expressway (a left exit). Stay on E Street through a tunnel. Immediately after the tunnel, turn left on 20th Street. Continue on 20th Street for several blocks. Turn left on Massachusetts Avenue, then turn right on Florida Avenue. At the third traffic light (before the light at Connecticut Avenue), take a sharp right on 21st Street. The Phillips Collection is located on the right at 1600 21st Street, NW.
FROM RICHMOND, VIRGINIA
Take I-95 North to I-395. Continue on I-395 across the 14th Street bridge. Continue on 14th Street (Route 1). After several blocks, turn left on I Street. Turn right on 20th Street. Turn left on Massachusetts Avenue, then turn right on Florida Avenue. At the third traffic light (before the light at Connecticut Avenue), take a sharp right on 21st Street. The Phillips Collection is located on the right at 1600 21st Street, NW.
We recommend booking convenient and affordable parking in advance through SpotHero, the nation’s leading parking reservation app.
To reserve your parking spot, visit The Phillips Collection SpotHero Parking Page and book a spot with rates up to 50% off drive-up.
Blue star Museums
The Phillips is a Blue Star Museum, offering free admission for all active duty military personnel and their families from Memorial Day through Labor Day.
EMBASSY ROW Hotel “EXPERIENCE THE COLLECTION” PACKAGE
Use code WKNDRPC when you book a stay between Thursday and Sunday for a deluxe art enthusiast package including:
- 2 nights in overnight accommodations at The Embassy Row Hotel
- Two tickets to The Phillips Collection
- Overnight valet parking
- $50 food credit for Station Kitchen & Cocktails or The Rooftop
- Hotel service fee and all taxes included
- Late check-out is based upon availability
For more information and booking, visit The Embassy Row Hotel website.
FAIRFAX EMBASSY ROW “EXPERIENCE THE COLLECTION” PACKAGE
Luxury hotel package for up to four adults includes:
- Overnight accommodations at Fairfax Embassy Row, a Starwood Luxury Collection hotel
- Tickets to The Phillips Collection
- Breakfast in 2100 Prime
- High-speed Internet access
- Late checkout at 2 p.m.
- With an extended stay: Metro passes to explore Washington, D.C.
Overnight rates starting at $224.50 per night. Room tax and gratuity not included.
For more information and booking, check The Fairfax Hotel website.
CHURCHILL HOTEL “EXPERIENCE THE COLLECTION” PACKAGE
Luxury hotel package for art enthusiasts of all ages includes:
- Overnight accommodations at the historic boutique hotel in the heart of Dupont Circle
- Complimentary access to The Phillips Collection, America’s first museum of modern art, with hotel key card and voucher
- On-property education with reproductions of famous works of art throughout the hotel
- Art-making amenities for kids
Overnight rates starting at $224.50 per night. Room tax and gratuity not included.
For more information and booking, visit The Churchill Hotel website.
Georgetown Inn “The Phillips Collection” PACKAGE
Luxury hotel package at property located in the heart of historic Georgetown:
- Overnight accommodations at this historic boutique hotel
- Two admission tickets to The Phillips Collection
- Complimentary valet parking
- Complimentary wireless internet connection
Overnight rates starting at $200 per night. Room tax and gratuity not included.
For more information and booking, visit The Georgetown Inn website.
Phillips volunteers (at the information station on the first floor) and Museum Assistants throughout the galleries (wearing red lanyards) can help with directions and also provide information about the museum.
Please silence your mobile phone in the galleries. Download the Phillips free app or visit the multimedia page for audio guides and videos about artwork in the galleries that may enhance your visit. Free Wi-Fi is available for your convenience.
Visitors are encouraged to take non-flash photos for non-commercial use of the permanent collection and special exhibitions, unless otherwise noted. Photography is not permitted in the Rothko Room. Selfie sticks, video cameras, and tripods are not permitted.
Sketching in the galleries is permitted with pencil.
PROTECTING THE ART
To enjoy the museum and keep artworks safe, please:
- Look, but do not touch the artwork. Works of art are fragile, so we ask that you keep a two-foot distance.
- Leave backpacks, backpack-type child carriers, umbrellas, large bags and packages, and other items larger than 15 x 13 x 7 inches in the complimentary coat check. Please carry purses and small backpacks on the front of the body.
- Do not bring food or drinks into the museum.
Get started! Dial 202.595.1835 and explore these collection highlights:
- Excerpt from a lecture by Duncan Phillips c. 1961: PRESS 90#
- History of the museum, the House, and the Music Room: PRESS 79#
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Luncheon of the Boating Party: PRESS 75#
- The Rothko Room: PRESS 77#
- The Laib Wax Room: PRESS 86#
- Jacob Lawrence, The Migration Series: PRESS 82#
THE PHILLIPS COLLECTION APP
Enhance your visit—or plan your next one—with The Phillips Collection app! Use interactive floor plans to locate works of art, learn in depth about works of art in the collection and special exhibitions, check on upcoming events, and more.
Help your family connect with art at the Phillips with our free Discovery Pack, available at the admissions desk. An interactive, all-ages set of cards that features works of art from the permanent collection, the pack guides you and your family through the museum with engaging and exciting questions and fun activities.